Irrespective of where your journey takes you, it is vital to be able to continue making progress to meet the goals you have created for yourself. Throughout the hard times, remaining focused on what you desire in life will keep your spirits high and bring you happiness. Today we are going to talk about how you should focus on the goal regardless of what is up ahead.
Try these tips to achieve your goals regardless of obstacles:
- Know exactly what you are after in life. What do you want your life to be like? When you have a clear understanding of your life’s purpose, you can then plan your activities over the short and long term to help you achieve your goals and your life’s purpose, which I believe is the ultimate goal.
- Keep your list of life goals short and to the point. However large your goals are ensure that you break them down to short manageable chunks. Here are just some of the goals that my personal growth coaching clients have set themselves during the last few months: “Run the London Marathon, set up a charity to help children, buy a house, live a happy and purposeful life.”
- Instill parts of achieving your goals into your everyday life. I had a client a couple of years ago who had a goal of taking a 6-week holiday to Japan and making their goal a reality. They told me even when their trip was two years away, they would talk about it on daily basis, they watched countless videos all about Japan on YouTube, they read books about the country and gauged the opinion of those that had been there. We can all learn from my clients by keeping our goals at the forefront of our minds every day until we reach them.
- Positive self-talk. Positive self-talk is a valuable tool to have at your disposal when you are working towards your goals. For example, you could say something like “I have faced some challenging times in the past and I came through them,” or “I will achieve my goal as long as I don’t give up and keep making progress.” Using positive ‘self-talk’ will help you to maintain your enthusiasm along the challenging path to reaching your goals.
- Take time to reflect on where you are. Taking the time to reflect on your progress at regular intervals is critical if you are going to achieve your goals. If you have a financial goal perhaps you review where you are to target and made some adjustments. Maybe you arranged a meeting or took the time to gain some knowledge that will help you get closer to your goal. Regular reflection will tell you if you are moving closer or further away from your goal.
If you consistently apply the five tips above and focus on the goal and not the obstacles you will achieve any goals that you set.